© 2016 by the Black Warrior Council, BSA.

WHO PAYS FOR SCOUTING?

‚Äč

The true cost of Scouting has been compared to an ice berg; most of our families will only ever see the 10% that’s “above water.” Here’s an overview of the other 90%:

 

Chartered Organizations
Each chartered organization using the Scouting program provides a meeting place and adult volunteer leadership for its unit(s).

 

Youth Members
Assisted by their parents or guardians, Scouts pay their share from personal savings and participation in money-earning projects. Members buy their own uniforms, handbooks, and personal equipment and pay their own camp fees.

 

Units
Weekly or monthly dues and funds from approved money-earning projects meet expenses for supplies and activities. These monies help pay for camping equipment, registration fees, Boys’ Life magazine, uniform insignia, special activities, and program materials.

 

Product Sales
Local Scouts conduct an annual popcorn sale. The Council shares the proceeds from this sale with the units that participate. Unit proceeds are used to fund unit programs and individual youth member activities. The Council’s proceeds contribute to operating funds.

 

The Council
Financial resources for the Council come from an annual Friends of Scouting campaign, local United Ways, foundation grants, special events, project sales, investment income, trust funds, bequests, and gifts of real and personal property. These funds provide for professional staff supervision, organization of new Scouting units, service for existing units, training of volunteer leaders, and maintenance of council camps. They also finance the operation of the local council service center, where volunteer leaders can obtain literature, insignia, advancement badges, and other items vital to the program. In addition, the service center maintains advancement and membership records.

 

National Organization
Funds to support the national organization of the Boy Scouts of America come from registration fees, local council service fees, investment income, Scouting and Boys’ Life magazines, sale of uniforms and equipment, and contributions from individuals. These monies help to deliver the program of the BSA (through four regional service centers and more than 300 local councils) to chartered organizations like NCAC that use the Scouting program to meet the needs of local youth.

The National Boy Scouts of America Foundation also provides funding for both local council needs and national organization initiatives. Most of this funding comes from specifically designated gifts made to the foundation by individuals, corporations, and other foundations.